Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day (NZ)


It would be very helpful if the powers that be could co-ordinate things so that Mother’s Day could be celebrated on exactly the same date in every country around the world. And while we’re at it, Father’s Day too please.

We always miss the British versions as there’s no mention of them on this side of the world. So we are frequently in trouble with all the parents back home – often without even realising it.

However this year we were super organised and arranged for flowers to be delivered to both UK mums for New Zealand’s Mother’s Day yesterday.

After placing the order and paying for it I unfortunately then discovered that one mother was going to be away for a few days (and therefore likely to return to a bunch of dead flowers on the doorstep) and the company we ordered from is yet to get around to making their delivery to the other mother despite promising a delivery date of Saturday (it’s now Monday). Ah well. We tried.


Meanwhile I was treated very well here in Wellington! Alfie invited me to a performance at his pre-school where I witnessed about twenty or thirty 3 and 4 year olds singing "Tutira Mai Nga Iwi" - exceedingly cute! Molly wrote me a beautiful letter which made me smile and made me laugh too - apparently my hobbies are "she likes to look beautiful" (!) and I never realised that she loves me because I sometimes say we can go to the dairy! 

Not only that, I was allowed a lie-in until quarter to nine, given a magazine and a scratch card (I won a dollar!) and was taken out to a nearby cafe for coffee and a slice. And there’s more! I was given a spare hour to go to an extra Zumba class on Sunday and ....I didn’t have to cook dinner that evening! So it was a brilliant day all round! 

No comments:

Post a Comment