Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Day In The Life of Alfie


I thought I’d capture a typical day in Alfie’s life on film today, so I brought the camera everywhere.

Our day began early this morning with some very enthusiastic reading.  Alfie brought home his first “reader” from pre-school yesterday, and insisted on reading it to us FIVE times before breakfast. Molly and I were pleading with him not to read it a sixth time, and luckily a bowl of porridge plonked in front of him seemed to do the trick by temporarily distracting him.

We are very proud that he’s moved up to reading real books and I can’t fault his enthusiasm, although if I have to listen so often then I do wish the storyline was a little more gripping!

Anyway, after dropping Molly at school, we went to the Mall to buy a birthday present – Alfie seems to have a party to go to every Saturday at the moment and his social life seems more aligned with Paris Hilton than a little boy. Anyway, he had great fun choosing a present and decided he would like to make his own monster card.

Then all of a sudden Alfie decided that he would actually rather like to go for a haircut (?).

This was fantastic news, as I’d been trying to persuade him into the hairdressers for weeks but he had been quite certain that only Daddy would be allowed to cut his hair. So we waited and waited and waited but still Daddy didn’t get around to it and Alfie was beginning to look like a cross between a girl and a punk. Therefore I was extremely relieved today to walk into Supercuts with my girl-punk and come out with a proper handsome boy (and a lollipop courtesy of Supercuts).

This called for a celebration, so we went to Muffin Break for a latte and a Ben 10 juice.

This was followed by Alfie’s regular gymnastics class, which he’s been doing for about a year now. I am going to blame the sugar content in the lollipop followed by a Ben 10 juice for this, but Alfie was super-wired-up at today’s class.  None of his usual good listening, good behaviour and good gymnastics.

Instead he and his buddies gave their coach a real run for her money, by bundling each other, lying on top of each other, tripping each other up, and generally not listening to instructions as much as they possibly could. It was so bad that I had to ask her not to resign at the end of the class.


I attempted some quiet time at home afterwards, but Alfie’s idea of quiet play wasn’t the same as mine, and eventually I had to give in and play Battle of the Bey Blades and car racing with him.

It was with great relief that I watched the clock turn 2.40pm and packed away the toys so that we could scooter down to school to collect Molly. 

Once home, Alfie finally came down from his sugar rush and relaxed on the sofa for a few minutes watching a Ben 10 DVD, but it didn't last long, and while I was cooking dinner I discovered that he'd turned into a cat named "Tom" - this unfortunate game continued throughout dinner, his shower and story time, and I have just finally put the little kitty to bed.

Phew! 

No comments:

Post a Comment