Tuesday, July 15, 2014

More School Holidays

Anyone who knows me well knows how much I cherish the school holidays and how fiercely I protect my time off with the kids. The current school holidays have been no exception.

Although arguably, the July school holidays are usually the least exciting ones! After a winter term that's usually full of coughs and colds and other viruses, this is the one holiday that all Kiwi kids seem to need a complete rest and plenty of quiet downtime.

So this year we've done just that! I've been working reduced hours during these holidays so they've been at the School Holiday Club 50% of the time and home with me 50% of the time. On their time with me, I've given them the choice between a day out somewhere exciting or time at home, and both children have chosen to stay at home every single time. I guess this term wore them out!

It's been lovely to see them relax into things and enjoy pottering around. They've done a lot of art. And made countless rainbow loom bands of course!

There's been some iPad time too. I'm guessing this is true of many kids these days, but ours rarely watch TV at all, unless it's a family movie night. In my early days of parenting I remember all the advice to keep TV time under 2 hours a day, but honestly, I just can't imagine mine wanting to watch 2 hours a day. Give Alfie an iPad though, and it's a different story!

Sometimes they've had playmates over, sometimes they've played imaginative games together, and sometimes they've played alone (at Molly's insistence because Alfie isn't so good at time alone!).

Their favourite game so far has been the Harry Potter one, which has been going on for days, on and off, with the help of some magic staves and a red scar drawn on Alfie's forehead...


If it sounds like it's been a very lazy time, that's probably because it has been! In fact, sometimes they've felt so lazy they've stayed in their pyjamas until lunchtime! Molly even spent a whole entire day in a onesie last week, even going out to the Mall wearing it to watch a magic show and eat Sushi!

All this quiet at-home time has been lovely for me too! As well as keeping on top of my work, I've been able to commit the ultimate crime (in Jake's eyes anyway ;) !) and RELAX with a cuppa and a book while the kids play..... not just once but twice!!


They do still have plenty of energy to burn of course. The trampoline put together by Grandad during the last holidays is seeing plenty of action - partly from the kids and also from the kittens too who love playing rough & tumble on it! (Thanks Grandad :) !)


And we've hit the playpark more than once as well...


But all up, these holidays have been just what the doctor ordered, and very special. We're into the second week now, so fingers crossed that the rest is just as good....!

No comments:

Post a Comment