Wednesday, April 1, 2015

School Camp

School camp is a rite of passage for Kiwi kids. Most of my friends here have very fond memories of school camps, in fact I almost feel jealous. I think we had a trip to the zoo once at my primary school - but I missed it because I had the chickenpox. I remember this because I clearly remember the sheer devastation at not being able to see the Llamas.

Anyway, Molly's first school camp was last week.

They go to a place called Forest Lakes, an hour or so's drive up the coast from Wellington.  It's been running as a school camp venue for years, and many of the parents here remember going there themselves when they were at school.

Yikes, I thought! A week away from home! Would she eat properly? Get any sleep? Get sunburnt? Remember to clean her teeth? Wash at all? Lose stuff? (quite likely for Molly) Be good? Have fun? Etc etc.

How wrong was I to worry! Molly had the MOST AMAZING TIME EVER and was very sad to come home!

She went kayaking, orienteering, played volleyball, bowling, mini-golf, Gladiator high ropes, mudsliding, did some archery, took part in a talent show, and so much more. And slept in a cabin with 7 friends, made a terrible mess, didn't sleep enough etc!

According to one of the parent helpers, the Confidence Course should be renamed the Molly Downing course. She just LOVES this kind of stuff!

She managed NOT to lose any clothes, and to get a bit of sleep! But since she got home, she's been asleep by 7pm each night and slept for 13 hours each night for 3 nights running!

But despite the exhaustion, the whole week was right up Molly's alley, and she'd do it all again in a flash! She'll have to wait until she's at Intermediate School for the next one though, sorry Molls!

No comments:

Post a Comment