Saturday, November 17, 2012

Tramping in Wellington


If walking (or "tramping") is your thing, then Wellington is a pretty perfect place to live in. There are bush reserves, coastal tracks, heritage trails and mountain walks all around the city.

Over the last 18 months we’ve become regular users of some of these tracks and trails, but we have been a little guilty of using and re-using the same few favourite tracks.

So this week, Alfie and I decided to explore some new ones.

We looked through the website www.tracks.org.nz and chose the Piwakawaka Track because....well honestly? Just because we thought the name sounded cool!*

It starts off as a pretty easy walk along a well maintained track which climbs up gently to an open area where there's a big water tank and some other equipment (for weather monitoring??). Alfie thought this was the coolest thing ever and asked lots of questions - how does the water get in, how does it get out, what's it for, etc - although unfortunately I couldn't answer a single one of his questions! (If anyone can help me out here, please feel free to provide information in the comments field below!)

Lucky the track was good as the little guy decided it was generally far more fun to be piggy-backed up it instead of using his legs. I got a good work out, but I'm not used to carrying 20 kgs on my back and  I collapsed in a heap at the top.

The views from the top were awesome and we spent a long time poking around looking at the city, the Westpac Stadium, the airport, Mount KauKau and Matiu Somes Island. I'd brought a flask of coffee with me and just as I thought to myself what a great spot it would be sit down and enjoy it, Alfie found the next part of the track - some downward steps and decided it was time to shoot off down them.

It didn't take me long to realise that lots of steps down means lots of steps back up again on the return journey - most likely with 20 kgs on my back. So we didn't go much further, and Alfie was forced to use his legs for the rest of the walk as it was mostly downhill. I'd love to do a bit more of the track though, so will have to train him better for next time - or develop my own muscles a bit more!

* The word "piwakawaka" is the Maori word for the New Zealand fantail bird. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to get some more walking in and it sounds like Wellington is the place to do it! Thanks for the tracks link - I think it will be useful!
    Also - I've started a Wellington Bloggers page on my blog (http://www.mummy-adventures.com/p/wellington-bloggers.html) and added you on - I hope that's okay? No worries if not, let me know and I'll take you off. And please let me know if you can think of anyone else to add :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries Katie, that's fine with me! Hope you're enjoying Wellington?

    ReplyDelete