Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Nature

As Jake left for work the other day we heard a big shriek - “Wendy, get out here NOW!!!” .

So I rushed out to the garden and I too stopped still in fright!

With life in Alice Springs still fresh in our minds, Jake and I had stumbled across something on the garden path which we believed to be a baby snake.

Holding the kids back, I gathered my thoughts together and reminded myself that New Zealand has no snakes. There are no snakes here. Snakes do not appear on garden paths in Wellington. It cannot be a snake.

And no. It wasn’t a snake – it was a giant worm! Like, a ridiculously giant worm, probably a good 30 to 40 cms long.

And stripey.

How I’ve managed to not see this type of creature before I don’t know, because I’ve since discovered that giant worms are not uncommon in NZ and there’s even one which lives in North Auckland that grows to 4 ft 6 inches – nearly as big as me, now there’s a good reason not to move back to Mairangi Bay!  

No comments:

Post a Comment